Wednesday, May 15, 2013

五月十五日星期三 May 15, Wednesday - A Day


For Chinese Level I students we learned the following words -
對...說duì ...shuō = say to ... 
biān = side 
在馬路邊上zài mǎ lù biān shàng = on the side of the road
有一點yǒu yī diǎn = has a little bit
沒關係méi guān xì = that's okay. It doesn't matter.


After introducing these words with PQA; we discussed and corrected the story on the test paper and the questions. I have to say it seems a tough day today for both students and I; some students didn't pay attention. For example, I read the story sentence by sentence word by word, students translate what I say into English. I randomly asked students what we just read; some of these students either couldn't find where we were or what we were. It was frustrating. I asked one student why I slowed down my pace to make sure everyone understands each sentence? Because I want to bore you? A student who didn't pay attention answered, because I was mad at them for their lack of attention. I replied, "NO, IT'S BECAUSE I WOULD LIKE YOU TO LEARN AS YOU'RE IMPORTANT AND A PART OF US. " Of course, I feel frustrated sometimes when students are able to learn but lack of attention and effort.

For Chinese Level II & III students we still worked on the words about sickness. First, we used the flashcards to practice these words. Students spread the flashcards on the table; the side with Chinese characters face up. I said a word in Chinese and students raise up the flashcard I said. The fastest one received 1 extra points.

After 15-20 minutes on recognizing Chinese characters, students worked as pairs to generate questions and answers in each flashcard. For example, Student A says a statement- Cody生病了and then asks - Cody怎麼了? Student B answers - Cody生病了. And then Student B generate a statement - Cody去看醫生, and asks - Cody做什麼? Student A says- Cody去看醫生, etc. Next students continue to ask one another questions but this time they were asked to ask a question with each flashcard.

At the end students were given out a work sheet and worked as pairs to comprehend the story.




No comments:

Post a Comment